Parkview Properties LLC


Carbon monoxide poison is a silent danger that can claim you or a family member’s life!

If you inhale too much carbon monoxide, it builds up in your bloodstream, where it takes the place of the oxygen that belongs there. When your heart, brain, or other vital organs are deprived of that oxygen, you’re in trouble.

To keep your family safe, know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning:

  • Headaches

  • Nausea

  • Vomiting

  • Dizziness

  • Shortness of breath

  • Fatigue

Carbon monoxide is especially dangerous for infants, pregnant women, and people with ailments such as emphysema, asthma or heart disease. Even small amounts of the fumes can hurt them.

 

Here are vital tips to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in your home:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors on each level of the home and outside each sleeping area. Additional CO alarms are recommended 5-20 feet from sources of CO such as a furnace, water heater or fireplace.

  • Alarms can alert you to a problem only after smoke or carbon monoxide reach their sensors. Choose locations free of obstructions, where the alarm will stay clean and protected from adverse environmental conditions. Do not place the unit in dead air spaces or next to a window or door.

  • Test the alarms once a month. Some alarms also give off audible signals on their own if the battery runs low or they break down.

  •  If you have multiple alarms, connect them all together. That way, if one of them detects trouble, they all go off.

  • Have a qualified technician inspect your heating system, water heater and any other fuel-burning appliances every year.

  • Check yearly to verify flues, vents and chimneys are connected, in good condition and clear of debris.

  • If your power goes out, don’t use emergency generators in your garage or basement. Put them outside the house at least 20 feet from windows or doors.

  • Use charcoal grills and portable camp stoves only outdoors.

  • Only use a space heater if someone is awake to monitor them. make sure there is some airflow in and out of the room. Don’t try to use a gas oven for heat.

  • Have your car or truck’s exhaust system checked each year. If your garage is attached to your home, don’t leave a vehicle running there. Even with the garage door open, the fumes can seep inside the house.

  • For businesses, install carbon monoxide alarms in main areas away from vents and appliances or equipment that produce smoke or steam.

  • Replace batteries in CO alarms annually.

    If a CO alarm is activated, or the presence of carbon monoxide is suspected, immediately get out of the house or building into fresh air, and if necessary, seek medical attention.

Want to Know How Much Your Home is Worth?

Get Your FREE Home Market Analysis Report Right Now!

YES, SHOW ME NOW